Monday, August 24, 2009

Chasing The Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino Dragon

It started innocently enough: Grabbing a bottle of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino out of a convenience store cold-chest before embarking on a long day exploring NYC. It hit the spot: Cold and refreshing; and the caffeine/sugar combo gave me just the energy jolt I needed to walk 43 blocks to the meatpacking district so we could explore block after block of 10'x10' boutiques peddling $300 vintage jeans (On another topic. . .wha? How do these places stay in business?) Then I did the same thing the next day. . .sip, sip, gulp, gulp. . ..ahh. Then again the next day. You get the picture. Before long, I was jonesing and desperately searching every grocery store, gas station, and 7 Eleven in the area for more. I was waking up in the morning thinking of them. At 3 each afternoon, as I was hitting my "I could use a nappy" daily slump, I was craving them. And then it hit me: I'm F-ing addicted to these GD Frappuccinos! It happened so quickly (less than a week, in my case). It was a startling (and less destructive, at least so far) glimpse into the world of addiction--how fast something recreational and fun can become debilitating and all-consuming. Tripp has only made the situation worse. God love him, his desire for me to enjoy myself causes him to encourage my dependence on these enslaving bottles of good/evil. "You're a new mom! You need this now!" He's so enabling! Fortunately, I've discovered Starbucks makes a Mocha Lite Frappuccino (all of the caffeine with less of the sugar). They don't give me nearly the jolt of crazed pep as the full-sugar variety, but I've come to see that as a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. "Lite"? Where do you find this magic? Be glad you don't work 3 feet away from a cooler filled with this goodness every day. Mmmmm....I could use one now.

    ReplyDelete