Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A la Carte Parenting Styles

Reading (okay, scanning) every parenting book I can get my hands on (okay, every book someone I like recommends). I'm now on a "Love and Logic" kick, but there are a few things from other sources that really speak to me. The following is a list of what I'm liking now (all of these have been interpreted and restated by me, so don't blame the books if this stuff doesn't work):

From Love and Logic:
1. Don't constantly save your children. Allow them to make mistakes and to deal with the consequences/fix their mistakes.
2. When disciplining misbehavior, express empathy first, as in "Aw man, now you can't play with the bat anymore. Bummer."
3. As often as possible, give children choices that don't hurt anyone else in the universe, i.e. "Do you want to put on your socks or your pants first?"

From Supernanny:
1. Toddlers often simultaneously want conflicting things, i.e. I want my shoes off and on at the same time.
2. Reacting to inappropriate behavior by screaming, hitting, etc. just shows children their misbehavior is powerful and models that screaming is an appropriate way to react to disappointment.

From 1-2-3 Magic:
1. Children are not little adults. They are not born with empathy, compassion or the ability to consider consequences.

Interested in what works for your, Readers. Hook a Mom up!

No comments:

Post a Comment