Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Movie Review 2: Hating the Protagonist

Saw Lakeview Terrace last week with some friends. Not my idea. I wanted to watch Daddy's Hands (gotta love this trailer); but someone thought it would be creepy. What?!
Anyway, my opinion about LVT is that it's crappy and not worth the time it spent to order it on Amazon's Video on Demand service. I think it had some promise: Cop (played by a Kobe Bryant hating Sam Jackson) gets all uppity because an interracial couple moves in next door. I think that's a pretty good premise; I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of what happens when those who are supposed to protect become the ones you need protection from. Who watches the watchers and all that.
But the writers, director, producers, or God knows who else took that interesting premise and allowed a camel to shit on it six times. First, the interracial couple is so unlikable as sickingly cute yuppie boneheads that I was kind of rooting for Sam the whole time. Now, that could have been an interesting plot point: Rooting for the bad guy because the good guys are nauseating. But, no, that was not what the movie wanted for us. (I know; I asked the movie). Instead, they made Sam's character go from a controlling dad who takes his responsibilities a little too seriously to a lunatic who creates his own demise after the white neighbor tricks him in, essentially, a "Your Momma" call-out. Ridiculous.
This movie exemplifies something I'm noticing in movies, TV shows and literature lately: What's up with protagonists being total abhorrent slags? But there's no wink-wink, nudge-nudge from the creator to indicate to the audience that (s)he thinks the protagonist is an asshole, too, so the whole time you're consuming this media you're thinking, "F! Does whoever created this think this person is cool? UGH!" Maybe (very likely, in fact) there is a wink-wink that I'm too slow to pick up on. Anyone with me on this? C'mon people, write back! Contribute!

1 comment:

  1. Hollywood doesn't take chances anymore. For the most part they pump out crap that will appeal to the largest consumer base or has enough vapid wizardry to satiate the effects heads. Granted there are exceptions to the rule, but mostly I walk into many movies expecting very little. Your review further backs up my modern day movie philosophy.

    ReplyDelete